Easy Quarantine Chocolate Cake
This recipe comes from a friend who has a neighbor named Tom and this was his mom’s recipe. “Tom’s Mom’s Chocolate Cake”. I don’t know Tom or his mom but this cake is delicious and you should make it. Especially in these quarantine times.
Fits in 2 9inch baking pans or you can put it in most pans really.
- 1 cup buttermilk (or milk or almond milk)
- 1 cup strong coffee (cool it down though!)
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup of vegetable oil (or olive oil)
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter and flour your pans and I’d recommend putting parchment paper on the bottoms. Mine got a little stuck.
- Mix the wet first (egg, milk, oil, coffee, vanilla) and then mix the dry separately.
- Add the dry incrementally to the wet to mix.
- Pour in pans and cook in oven for about 20 - 40 mins (depending on your oven). If a toothpick comes out clean in the middle of the cake you’re good to go.
- Cool pans down for at least 30 mins or until room temp before taking it out.
I very much enjoyed using the chocolate icing from The Kitchn it uses very little butter (which is very valuable in these times).